Bubbles!

Whenever you go to an ethnically foreign place, such as a restaurant or a market, you'll notice how the environment that surrounds you is contained within a very finite area - a bubble. The moment you walk in through a door, smells, sounds, sights, and all your senses are struck with the ruminated cultures of centuries of history, often from thousands of miles away. Specifically, the way people speak, the manner in which people address each other, the language that permeates the bubble, is subtly yet vastly different. What I mean is, unlike the very apparent "role playing, side-step, shilly-shally, and vagueness and innuendo" in the English language, my Chinese speaking family is one that does not partake in such mannerisms. English is peculiar distinct distinctive idiosyncratic particular personal special specific unique in that there are hundreds of substitutes or complimentary words that mean basically the same thing. Chinese, on the other hand is more direct, requiring, on average, less characters to deliver the same meaning. Now I am not advocating for a totalitarian society and the implementation of Newspeak from Orwell's 1984, reducing language to its bare bones, but to expand upon Pinker's analysis of how society is founded upon "indirect" language, I have to disagree because not every society in the world is like this. For me I enter this "bubble" every day I come home from school.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2vC_YAEvFM

Comments

  1. Marvin I love how you described such settings as "bubbles," it's so accurate! It was interesting to read some of the differences between Chinese and American language, and I agree that Pinker kind of over generalized a bit. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually really like the English language for that sole fact. I feel (in comparison to Portuguese), that there are many more words that can be used, each conveying a more specific idea. I like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great point you present! I think that the piece is more geared toward English language rather than other languages. Gods job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I 100% agree, in Tamil there aren't as many way to say something compared to English. I also enjoyed the "bubble" settings. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Really Confident Girl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle