Enabled

People with disabilities have it way too hard. Aside from the glaring physical or mental handicap, the emotional effects of disabilities are almost just as painful. This is no thanks to the media, who contribute to their pain by ignoring and out-casting them. They make it socially acceptable and so easy to just ignore the problem and see "through" or "over" these unfortunate souls (Soyster). In reality, it's also just hard to completely relate to people who have to live with the pain forever. And that's the real disability: forever. No going back. No return to the good ole days. No "wheelchair racing, tennis, rugby" (Soyster). One day you're a "quintessential California golden boy" and in the blink of an eye you're stuck in a wheel chair for the rest of your days.

Part of the problem is that society hasn't taught us how to deal with "anomalies" like every unique case of disability. Are you supposed to get the door for them? Are you supposed to be extra nice to them because they've had a hard life or are you supposed to treat them just like any average Joe? I've always been told to treat others the way you want to be treated, but on instinct I wouldn't know what the daily life of a maimed or mentally retarded person would be like. I guess I'm part of the problem because the taboo associated with disabled people has been perpetuated by society, but I want to be able to detach myself from that stigma. I want disabled people to know, just through my words and actions, that I am trying to level with them, trying to relate, trying to sympathize, just trying.

Comments

  1. Marvin this is a really great piece! I love how you talked about living with impairment for eternity being the real disability, it's makes a very powerful point. I can also relate with you on how we don't really know how to treat the disabled since it's not something that's often discussed, and I myself feel bad too. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be poetic if a physically disabled individual were to live for 150 years. A physical hindrance being nothing in comparison to the essence of life .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job - I loved your voice in this especially towards the end. It has a very powerful impact . It reminds me of Soyster's piece when he ends with just the word "Waiting."

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow marvin. I really understood your dilema and was able to relate. Your voice really shows through in this piece, especially the last line. I just dont understand the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I relate her aswell. Something I've always been confused of when meeting with someone who has a disablity is how to treat them. Do I treat them above others because of their disablity, or do I treat them as just another stranger I see in my life? I also really enjoyed your title. I thought it was unique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvin your voice and perspective really showed in this piece! I like the last few lines about how even though we don't know what its like, we still want to sympathize.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Really Confident Girl

Bubbles!

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle